Product Owner Training
Much work today falls into the Complex Domain, where there are no prior examples to reference and where solutions may have to be deduced by experiment. In such circumstances, traditional plan-driven approaches don’t work, the claim is, that allowing one particular role (The Product Owner) to focus on the prioritization of effort to obtain maximum value, gives optimal results. The Product Owner is a central figure in every organization that wants to use Scrum.
This one day course can be taken in extension of the one day Introduction course. This means that in the time span of two days we train people to assume and fill out the role of Product Owner successfully in their projects. Upon completion the new Product Owners will have learnt enough tools to be ready to embark on a journey towards great results.
On this course for Product Owners we focus on complexity and on the strategic aspect of how to find the optimal use for our resources. The Product Owner is the person responsible for value creation, return on investment and is always looking out towards the market, customers and the stakeholders. It is systematically discussed how to secure feedback from customers and develop an ability to assess and estimate value based on even fragmented knowledge. The course also focuses on building a vision and methods fo decomposing larger requirements into smaller units.
Upon successful completion of the training, each participant will have a two-year membership of the Agile Lean Leadership Network, where additional material and information about Agile, Lean and Scrum is available. Attendees are required to take an online test after the training course to be approved as Product Owner by ALL. Attendees will receive training materials and electronic copies of presentations, videos, and materials produced during the course.
Who should attend? Product Owners, Product Managers or anyone interested in Agile work and getting the most out of your efforts. We will send information to all participants approximately one week in advance.
Find the other courses in our catalogue here:
The Scrum value proposition and the work with the stakeholders
Visibility prerequisite for complex work
Short startup Narrative about Kahneman and Mc Chrystal. Why focus on Agile, Lean and Scrum, where is the value? Visibility is key.
- Reflection on how far we got so far
- Why Agile, Lean and Scrum
- Exercise: The case for Agile, Lean and Scrum (Workslides)
- Backlog and Backlog Items. User story, Backlog Structure,
Backlog, Scrum flow and the PO/SO role in detail
An advanced exercise in value generation. The Scrum Patterns, more about meetings?
- The Product Backlog in detail, The PO’s primary artifact
- Scrum the Flow and the Pattern
- More on the Product Owner role, what does the PO do, exercise
- An exercise in Team work (Hexagon Challenge #3 or Tetris, Workslides), reflection. if time allows
Building a common vision
- The vision, mission and strategy, vision board
- Lean Canvas – a great way of expanding the vision
- Ritual dissent – sharpening up you act
From the Vision to the Backlog
From the Vision to the Backlog 1
- Compress to 15 minutes
- The Future Backwards
- Collecting input through other methods (Innovation Games etc.)
- Prune the Product Tree
Impact mapping, exercise (Workslides)
From the Vision to the Backlog 2
Roadmap, Story Map, Outline, other items on backlog, complex and complicated research and experiment. COmplexity estimation,
- Roadmap, expanding the vision timewise
- Storymap expanding the solution two-dimensionally
- Exercise in storymap
- Splitting of epics and stories
Business value and other PO duties
Kano estimation, TSHirt estimation, Confidence estimation
- Kano estimation, more on business value
- An exercise in magic estimation (Workslides)
- Artifacts needed by the Product Owner
- Sprint Review
- Agile History
The online version
When the one-day courses in the Agile Lean Leadership program are delivered online they follow a slightly different format due to the very different nature of online courses.
First of all, where a physical course lasts a full working day, the same online course consists of two 3-hour sessions, one delivered in the morning and one in the afternoon. Each session is in 3 sections with a 10 minute break in between. We try to go for sessions 8:30-11:30 and 12:30-15:30.
To compensate for the shorter exposure time, the participants are required to do some homework before the course. Each of the courses either has an accompanying “Birds’ Eye View” document that we ask the participant to read or a video to watch beforehand. We also ask participants to take a small survey that covers the content of this material to improve imprinting the learning. This is required for a successful outcome of the course. As additional preparation we ask each participant to bring 3-5 questions to the training regarding topics he or she would like to discuss.
Our online course content is compact and focused, but we always prioritize activities that focus on dialog and interaction as well. We assume the participant has read the Bird’s Eye View and has it available for reference. So, in John Wayne’s words “we ride hard and fast!”.
About a week after the training course we offer participants a one hour online retrospective for follow-up questions and clarifications. It is not mandatory, but it does provide a space for people to ask questions before taking the online test.
It is our experience that the format of 2 x 3 hours of course sessions for online courses represent the absolute maximum participants can benefit from in a day. It is therefore important that participants prioritize time for preparation as well to get maximum benefit from the course. In order to ensure sufficient interaction between the instructor and participants please note that we either limit the number of participants 10-12 people for a course, or we choose the option of adding an extra instructor for classes of more than that number.
Prices and Conditions for Courses
- Each public Agile Lean Leadership one-day course is offered at an Early-Bird price of EUR 640, USD 800, NOK/SEK 6,500 or DKK 4,800 when registering more than a month before the course date, after that the prices are: EUR 720, USD 900, NOK/SEK 7,200 or DKK 5,400.*
- Each public Agile Lean Leadership two-day Course (ALLSM or ALLPO) is offered at an Early-Bird price of EUR 1,230, USD 1,500 or DKK 9,000 when registering more than a month before the course date, after that the price is EUR 1,350, USD 1,650, NOK 15,900 or DKK 10,000.
- All Prices are excl. Danish VAT.
- Courses include meals, course materials, certificate of participation, access to online resources and free participation in follow-up events for two years.
- Participants can choose to sit an examination after each course. This consists of handing in a written assignment for review and assessment by the instructor and one independent instructor. The students will receive comments and a passed/failed note, grades are not given. The examination costs EUR 160, USD 190, NOK/SEK 1.600 or DKK 1,200.
- Registration via email at email@example.com, invoices are sent out from the organization arranging the training course. Payment has to be received before the start of the course.
- Cancellation policy: Registration can be cancelled up until one month before the start of the course without any fees. Cancellation between one month and two weeks before the course start is charged with 50% of the course fee. Cancellation the last two weeks before the course start will be charged fully. Transfer to a later course can be negotiated, in case unforeseen circumstances appear.
- For free events we kindly ask participants to register via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Registration can be cancelled up to 24 hours before the event FOC. After that, a no-show fee of EUR 55, USD 65, NOK/SEK 550 or DKK 400 will be invoiced.
- The courses are also offered as internal, on-site courses for organizations and companies. Normally a minimum of 10 participants are required. If you are interested please contact us for further information, via email here… or find the right contact person here…
*Except for the Agile Lean Leadership Executive Course which is offered at an Early-Bird price of EUR 825, USD 1000, NOK/SEK 8,300 or DKK 6,100 when registering more than a month before the course date, after that the prices are: EUR 920, USD 1,100, NOK/SEK 9,300 or DKK 6,800.*