Classic Scrum Master course
On a Scrum Master by ALL course we educate people in two days so that they can begin to implement Scrum in their organization. It is only a start, but the newly hatched Scrum Masters can assume the role with integrity and credibility. The training course delivers inspiration, contemplation and practical exercises to encourage participants to reflect and gain new perspectives. We emphasize teamwork as well as the individual – how to help them reach their full potential and remove the barriers that are holding people back.
Steve Denning of Forbes Magazine is quoted to have said that Scrum is ‘a major management discovery’. Scrum makes it possible to create solutions even though we find ourselves in complex situations. This is achieved by introducing boundaries such as working in iterations, clear and distinct roles with a precise responsibility, regular meetings and total clarity and transparency in the process. The Scrum Master’s responsibility is to see to that the process is followed, obstacles are removed and optimization is introduced.
This hands-on, interactive two-day course will teach you how to assume the responsibility of Scrum Master with confidence. The theoretical material is taught using new, creative and practical exercises throughout the course. Participants will attain a new perspective and approach to project management, estimation, improving visibility and much more. The course also offers a thorough survey of the advantages the Scrum method compared to traditional project management in projects, where one has to deal with uncertainties.
- Overview and details of the Scrum method
- The historical and theoretical foundation for Scrum
- How to be an effective Scrum Master leading the process
- How to work with the backlogs and burn-down charts to improve visibility
- How to coach the Team and the Product Owner in the Scrum way
- How to start the organization on the path of “constant improvement”
- Agile planning, estimation and retrospectives
Upon successful completion of this course, each participant has a two-year membership of the Agile Lean Leadership Network, where additional Scrum, Agile and Lean material and information is available. Attendees will be required to take an online multiple-choice test after the training course to get the certificate. Attendees will receive training materials and electronic copies of presentations, videos, and materials produced during the course.
Who should attend? Team members, project managers or anyone interested in improving quality of work, Agile practices and leading teams. No prior knowledge of Scrum or Agile methods is required although some prior reading is recommended. We will send information and reading material to all participants in advance.
Agenda Day 1
- Introduction, warming up
- An exercise in constant improvement
- Complexity – friend or foe?
- A Scrum story, “The Big Picture”
- An exercise in building a Backlog
- Heartbeat retrospectives
- Scrum roles and responsibilities
- Planning and estimation
- An exercise in estimation
Agenda Day 2
- Reflection and warming up
- Another kind of exercise using business value
- Scrum in a historical perspective
- Scrum meetings
- Working in sprints + an exercise
- Artifacts, visibility and tools
- The Scrum Master and the organization
- Scaling of Scrum, off-shoring, pitfalls
- Kanban and Lean, differences and similarities
- The last exercise: create a product
- Summing up
Physical courses start at 09:00 and end at approximately 17:00 each day.
Get a PDF invitation here…
How we approach teaching Scrum Master courses online
Online courses follow an adapted format of the physical courses.
First of all, where a physical course lasts two full working day, the same online course consists of two days of two 3-hour sessions, one delivered in the morning and one in the afternoon. Each session is in 3 sections with a 10 minute break in between. We try to go for sessions 8:30-11:30 and 12:30-15:30.
To compensate for the shorter exposure time, the participants are required to do some homework before the course. Each of the courses either have an accompanying “Birds’ Eye View” document that we ask the participant to read or a video to watch beforehand. We also ask participants to take a small survey that covers the content of this material to improve imprinting the learning. This is required for a successful outcome of the course. As additional preparation we ask each participant to bring 3-5 questions to the training regarding topics he or she would like to discuss.
Our online course content is compact and focused, but we always prioritize activities that focus on dialog and interaction as well. We assume the participant has read the Bird’s Eye View and has it available for reference. So, in John Wayne’s words “we ride hard and fast!”.
About a week after the training course we offer participants a one hour online retrospective for follow-up questions and clarifications. It is not mandatory, but it does provide a space for people to ask questions before taking the online test.
It is our experience that the format of 2 x 3 hours of course sessions for online courses represent the absolute maximum participants can benefit from in a day. It is therefore important that participants prioritize time for preparation as well to get maximum benefit from the course. In order to ensure sufficient interaction between the instructor and participants please note that we either limit the number of participants 10-12 people for a course, or we choose the option of adding an extra instructor for classes of more than that number.
Prices and Conditions for Courses
- Each public Agile Lean Leadership one-day course is offered at an Early-Bird price of EUR 640, USD 800, NOK/SEK 6,500 or DKK 4,800 when registering more than a month before the course date, after that the prices are: EUR 720, USD 900, NOK/SEK 7,200 or DKK 5,400.*
- Each public Agile Lean Leadership two-day Course (ALLSM or ALLPO) is offered at an Early-Bird price of EUR 1,230, USD 1,500 or DKK 9,000 when registering more than a month before the course date, after that the price is EUR 1,350, USD 1,650, NOK 15,900 or DKK 10,000.
- All Prices are excl. Danish VAT.
- Courses include meals, course materials, certificate of participation, access to online resources and free participation in follow-up events for two years.
- Participants can choose to sit an examination after each course. This consists of handing in a written assignment for review and assessment by the instructor and one independent instructor. The students will receive comments and a passed/failed note, grades are not given. The examination costs EUR 160, USD 190, NOK/SEK 1.600 or DKK 1,200.
- Registration via email at email@example.com, invoices are sent out from the organization arranging the training course. Payment has to be received before the start of the course.
- Cancellation policy: Registration can be cancelled up until one month before the start of the course without any fees. Cancellation between one month and two weeks before the course start is charged with 50% of the course fee. Cancellation the last two weeks before the course start will be charged fully. Transfer to a later course can be negotiated, in case unforeseen circumstances appear.
- For free events we kindly ask participants to register via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Registration can be cancelled up to 24 hours before the event FOC. After that, a no-show fee of EUR 55, USD 65, NOK/SEK 550 or DKK 400 will be invoiced.
- The courses are also offered as internal, on-site courses for organizations and companies. Normally a minimum of 10 participants are required. If you are interested please contact us for further information, via email here… or find the right contact person here…
*Except for the Agile Lean Leadership Executive Course which is offered at an Early-Bird price of EUR 825, USD 1000, NOK/SEK 8,300 or DKK 6,100 when registering more than a month before the course date, after that the prices are: EUR 920, USD 1,100, NOK/SEK 9,300 or DKK 6,800.*